Monday, November 30, 2009

2009 Recap

Training for the 2009 Boston Marathon went pretty good, no injuries, no major setbacks.  The weather held out for most of the winter and I only had to do one long run on the treadmill due to snow.  I did that 14 miler at Hatfield Athletic Club and when I was done the guy on a treadmill behind me and stopped to ask me how many miles I had done, he was astonished.  I did miss one long run when we traveled to NH for a class for Kim and to visit friends.  After getting there I really didn't feel like doing a 20+ mile run, so I bagged running for the weekend.  I also had a few long runs that I wasn't properly hydrated.  One long run it was bad, I hit a wall around mile 15, ran/jogged/walked another few miles before I decided I just needed to head home.  I did have water with me, but I was so out of it I decided to dump the water out because it was to heavy, that 3 miles back to my house seemed like an eternity.

Going into race day I felt 100% prepared.  But, around mile 21 I ran out of gas.  One difference between my qualifying marathon and Boston was that I took carb gels during that race and decided against it for Boston, this year I will take gels.  By mile 24 I was taking double helpings of oranges that spectators were handing out.  When I finished the race I ate the entire bag of food they gave us before I got to the buses to get my clothes.  Staying in a hotel for 2+ days prior to the race didn't help with my pre race food intake, I just don't think I ate enough.  This year we're going up to a friend's house in NH and stay there until Sunday night so I can eat properly and relax.

So, on to training, I realized today after my run that I should count how many weeks were left to the marathon, I knew I needed to start training either this week or next week.  Surprise surprise today is Day numero uno!

As I go along I'll share my training plan, data from last years race, and just other thoughts along with my daily training activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment